skip to main content
Find Insight DIY on
* * *

UK DIY News

Kingfisher IMS: B&Q UK & Ireland LFL sales down 1.1%

B&Q store Farnborough

Kingfisher has reported on Q1 trading, covering the 13 weeks ended 2 May 2015 with Q1 sales of £2.6 billion, +0.8% LFL and retail profit of £150 million, up 1.4% in constant currencies

GROUP HIGHLIGHTS: 

- Reported retail profit of £150m impacted by £10m adverse foreign exchange movements on the translation of non-sterling profits and £7m charges for new country development activity. On a constant currency basis, retail profit, excluding new country development, was up 3.1% to £157m

- Around £88m has been returned via a share buy back since year end (25m shares), forming part of the previously announced £200 million due to be returned during FY2015/16

- Completion of sale of 70% controlling stake in B&Q China and receipt of £140m cash proceeds. Put option in place for remaining 30% stake in 2 years’ time

- Exchanged contracts for the disposal of leases on 14 of the previously announced c.60 B&Q store closures – to 2 national retailers over the next 2 years (3 stores subject to planning change)

UK & IRELAND:

Total sales up 3.1% (+1.6% LFL) against strong comparatives (+10.1% LFL Q1 2014/15)

B&Q UK & Ireland’s sales down 1.5% (-1.1% LFL; +8.5% 2 year LFL). Sales of outdoor seasonal and building products down 4% (+30% Q1 2014/15). Sales of indoor products, excluding showroom up 2%. Sales of showroom products down 7% reflecting reduced promotional activity and the move to ‘Every Day Great Value’

Screwfix sales up 26.8% (+15.4% LFL) driven by its leading omnichannel capability, new and extended trade ranges and 6 new outlets

UK gross margins up 90 basis points reflecting weak comparatives (-210 basis points Q1 2014/15) due to more promotionally-led showroom sales last year. Costs benefited from on-going productivity initiatives offset by phasing of marketing costs. 

Véronique Laury, Kingfisher Chief Executive Officer, said:

“We have made a solid start to the year against strong comparatives. In the UK, B&Q continued to grow sales volumes and Screwfix delivered an excellent performance, opening its 400th store in May. In France, our businesses performed broadly in line with the market.

We are also making good early progress with our ‘ONE’ Kingfisher plan to unlock our potential by creating a single, unified company where customer needs come first. Our first ‘sharp’ decisions are being worked on at pace. I am delighted that Arja Taaveniku, our Chief Offer & Supply Chain Officer, joined the team in May, and that the pilot of our unified IT system is on track. We are also pleased to report that we already have agreements to dispose of a quarter of the B&Q stores earmarked for closure. We look forward to sharing more of our plans as the year progresses.”

Source : Kingfisher
www.kingfisher.com/

28 May 2015

Related News

view more UK DIY News
*

Insight DIY always publishes the latest news stories before anyone else and we find it to be an invaluable source of customer and market information.

*
Max Crosby Browne - CEO, Home Decor
Newsletters

Don't miss out on all the latest, breaking news from the DIY industry